Wednesday, December 14, 2011

If you think Christmas is all about the kids, you've missed the point.

There, I said it. Call me a Grinch or a Scrooge or whatever you want to. But that's what I think about it.

I keep coming across this idea that Christmas is all about making children happy, that all of the decorations and gifts and lights are just for them. The prevailing mindset seems to be that everything grownups do from the last week of November through December 26 is for the children. And that it's the way it should be.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm of the opinion that Christmas should be enjoyed by everyone, no matter their age. Maybe it's because I never had Santa Clause as a child. Maybe my parents "ruined" Christmas too early for me. Or maybe I'm the only one that gets it. Regardless of the reason, I'm here to tell you that I am a 25 year old mom of two (or three or four, depending on how you want to count), and I have no doubt that Christmas is for me, too.

You see, I have grown up with a totally different perspective on Christmas than many kids my age did. We didn't have Santa. I'm not sure all of the reasons my parents didn't do Santa, but I'm grateful to them. Around Christmastime, we always focused on the story in Luke chapter 2. My parents have been in ministry my whole life, so we celebrated Christmas with songs about Emanuel, Christmas pageants that always included a little baby in a manger scene, a very breakable nativity set that I loved to look at and play with very carefully. Yes, we had presents. My parents sacrificed a lot (probably more than they should have some years) to make sure we had Christmas presents in our stockings and under the tree. But that was not usually the focus, even in our young hearts. The focus was that God came to us, became one of us, so that he could save us.

One of my favorite Christmas movies is "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." Have you ever seen it? This rough and tumble family with six kids starts coming to church because they heard there were snacks. Through a series of events, they end up with all of the principal roles in the Christmas pageant. As a result, they learn the true meaning of Christmas in a way most adults still have yet to grasp. "HEY! Unto you a child is born!"

That means YOU, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment